Course Review: Craftsy – Complete Knife Skills (Free)
Course Name: Complete Knife Skills
Master the most important tool in your kitchen and cut prep time in half with this FREE mini class!
Author: Brendan McDermott
Course Type: Self Paced Online Course. Lifetime Access
Duration: 4 HD video lessons
Find Out More at Craftsy:
More Info, Reviews & Sign Up – The official page for this course at Craftsy.
Best Course Online Review
The ‘‘Complete Knife Skills’‘ course at Craftsy covers all the key knife skills most people will need to know right from choosing your knives, basic safety through to tips used to save time and money. By the time you complete the course you’ll be safer and quicker in the kitchen. You’ll also create less waste and create professional results.
Lesson 1: Introduction
- Choosing The Best Kitchen Knives for You
- The 4 Basic Types of Kitchen Knife
- Basic Knife Safety
- How to Hold The Knife & Slicing Technique
Lesson 2: The Four Main Types of Cut
- The Low Cut (Celery, Garlic, Herbs…)
- The High Cut (Carrots, Pineapple, Watermelon)
- Plateau, Julienne & Dice Cutting (Vegetables, Herbs & Garlic)
- Horizontal & Pull Cuts (Onions)
Lesson 3: Shortcuts & Tips for Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs
- Jalapeño, Cauliflower and Citrus Fruits
- Tomatoes, including Cherry Tomatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Avocados, Pomegranates, Kiwis…
Lesson 4: How to Hone & Sharpen Kitchen Knives
- Knife Honing & Sharpening Equipment
- Honing & Sharpening Technique & Best Practices
- Knife Care & Maintenance
Cool Knife Skills Tips That You’ll Learn Along the Way:
- How to cut onions without making yourself cry!
- How to cut 20 cherry tomatoes in half in a couple of seconds!
- How to get more flavour from your herbs so don’t need to use as much
- How to reduce cooking time with the right cutting technique
About the Tutor: Chef Brendan McDermott is the knife skills instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. The classes are well planned and Brendan gives clear instructions throughout. His occasional humorous comments are a nice touch to keep the lessons engaging and fun!